28th INTERNATIONAL SUMMER SCHOOL FOR SEMIOTIC AND STRUCTURAL STUDIES
to be held in Imatra, Finland, June 8–12, 2013
We are pleased to announce the research seminars and International Summer School for Semiotic and Structural Studies. The seminars will be organized by the International Semiotics Institute (ISI) at Imatra and open to any semiotician interested in the topics given below. The director of the Summer School and ISI, is Professor Eero Tarasti.
Dates and Locations of the Seminars:
June 8–12, 2013, Hotel Valtionhotelli, an art nouveau castle in Imatra, Eastern Finland (near the Russian border and well-known for its historical, natural, and cultural attractions)
1) 32nd Annual Meeting of the Semiotic Society of Finland: Signs in the Human Existence: Theories and Analyses
2) 9th International Imatra Symposium on Semiotics and Translation (SemTRA2013); chairs: Prof. Pirjo Kukkonen (Helsinki) and Dr. Ritva Hartama-Heinonen (Helsinki)
3) Symposium on Semiotics of Cultural Heritages: Remembering, Renewing, Restoring; chair: Eero Tarasti (Helsinki); papers by the international research project
4) Semiotics for Education: Transforming Theories and Practices; chairs: Prof. Andrew Stables (Bath, U.K.), Dr. Eetu Pikkarainen (Oulu)
5) Anthropo-Semiotics of Funerary Practices, chair Prof. José Enrique Finol (Maracaibo)
6) Challenge of the Disabled: Sounds and Signs of Difference; chairs: Sari Helkala-Koivisto (Helsinki); Prof. Ilya Utekhin (St. Petersburg)
In the side of invited speakers, all the sections are open for international scholars interested in giving papers on the topics. Proposals can be sent to the ISI office: email@example.com
Each seminar consists of papers presented by both invited lecturers and participants. The aim of the summer school is to offer the participants both up-to-date research and an opportunity to discuss thoroughly their projects with leading specialists in the various fields.
Duration of papers: 30 min. The working languages of the seminars and congresses are English, French, and German.
June 8 Registration and lodging
18.00 Opening celebration of the International Summer School of Semiotic Studies
09.00–18.00 Seminar lectures and papers
Categories of Participation and Conditions of Admission:
There are two categories of participation:
1) Active: the participant will present a paper.
2) Passive: the participant will audit the summer school without presenting a paper.
An active participant must send a short curriculum vitae and a one-page abstract of his/her paper together with the registration form to the address given at the bottom of this letter. These materials should reach the organizers no later than 2 MAY, 2013. The abstracts will be published as a booklet and should be sent as a word-processing file (e-mail attachment).
A passive participant must send the registration form by April 30, 2013.
Participation Fee: 230 EUR (The fee covers lunch and two coffees a day from June 9–12 and an elegant evening reception and buffet on June 9th.)
Payment of fees must be made before April 30 by bank transfer to the ISI bank account with Danske Bank. The international account number is IBAN FI8780001802071697 and the BIC/SWIFT code DABAFIHH; Danske bank, P.O. Box 1561, 00075 Danske bank
103 € / person/ day/ in a single room, Spa hotel
114 € / person/ day in a single room, Castle hotel
146 €/ day in a double room, Castle hotel
135 € day in a double room, Spa hotel
23 € / dinner/ day in the hotel
Accommodation should be reserved from Valtionhotelli before 15.5.13 by name "ISI Summer School"
tel + 358 5 625 2000 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Summer Hostel Mansikkala
60 € / person / day double room
42 € / single / room
Prices incl. bed linen but no breakfast (breakfast can be bought at 7 €)
Accommodation should be reserved in Summer Hostel Mansikkala before 15.5. by name "ISI Summer School",
For further information and / or to register, please contact:
You are also encouraged to visit the ISI website (www.isisemiotics.fi) for up-to-date information as it becomes available.